possible new member

Ethos is a gaming guild found in the popular game, World of Warcraft. Formerly known as True Humanity from the popular game, Matrix Online, many of Ethos' core members have played together in WOW and other games for several years. Want to join us? Here is where you can tell us about yourself and why you want to join us!

possible new member

Postby Laelya on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:20 am

Hi guildies. I have a friend who just reached 80 on his warrior. This is his first character and he has recently moved to Kirin Tor but his former guild didn't work out. He is currently in a VERY small guild and in need, potentially, of a change-for support as he learns what the heck he does now. He is interested in our guild, as I've told him what wonderful, supportive and ridiculous people we are. Here is my concern...he speaks Portugeuse as his primary language...no this isn't the same friend as before, I just seem to meet the people from Brazil. Last time, when we pulled my other friend in to help with Naxx, there was some very negative talking going on in guild chat about the fact that my other Brazilian friend was asking for us to speak more slowly on vent so that he could understand it all. Like before, this new friend, Betrex, is amazing with English, but it is his second (or third? who knows) language. So we would have to be understanding of that. I find him very easy to communicate with and play with. But before I issue an invite, I wanted to see what you all think. Will he be welcomed? Is his small language barrier a barrier for us in recruiting? Let me know. I don't want him to feel unwelcome and I want all of you to want a new member, English as a second language and all.
Laelya
Recruit
Recruit

Re: possible new member

Postby deniseny on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:55 am

I think you're talking about Seelya, right? If memory serves, this was the guy who wanted to join the guild and become some sort of rogue leader and control raids as well, right? I'm sure he was good at his rogue, but I saw clear personality conflicts from the first time I met him and didn't think he would work out. But we gave him a shot anyway. But as I thought, he left us to do what he really wanted to do - to start his own guild. It really wasn't a language barrier as he says.

As for your new friend, he sounds like someone who is open to learning about his character and ways to assist a raid. Someone who walks in to this group with an open mind will always have more success than someone who comes in with certain expectations. I think your new friend will be just fine. Don't compare him to Seelya just because they come from the same country. Recruit him, give him the vent info and let's help him get geared up. We can always use a tank!

Now get us some healers! LOL
[color=#BF8040]"OMFG! She's fallen asleep with her finger on the run key again . . ."

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DeniseNY
Twitter: @DeniseNY1
Ethos/TrueHumanity on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EthosTH/members/
deniseny
Site Admin (High Crusader)
Site Admin (High Crusader)

Postby phobian on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm

/support

I like people from Brazil. Hello??? Brazilian wax FTW!!!!
phobian
Knight
Knight

Postby Valoel on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Laelya wrote:...as I've told him what wonderful, supportive and ridiculous people we are.

Who's guild you talkin 'bout? That is sooo not us. Cept for the ridiculous part.

Regarding Seelya, as has been said before, he never really asked to do anything. I would assume he knew about vent and that's how we organize. But he'd never respond when we'd ask in guild and never really asked to participate. I can't understand how he could want to be in a leadership role and not participate.

Go ahead and invite Betrex. As long as he knows we aren't mind readers and he needs to say something, he'll be fine. If he hops on vent, it'll be easier. Plus Grim can teach him all kinds of new words.
Valoel
Commander
Commander

Postby Nephihah on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Valoel wrote: Plus Grim can teach him all kinds of new words.

Yes he will learn quickly that wood does not refer to trees and that lot of things cause Grim to have this.
LIKE OMG WTFBBQPWN!
Nephihah
Knight
Knight

Postby Laelya on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:36 am

Hi All, Thanks for the responses and apologies for how long it took me to read them....I was hunting eggs in Azur Myst see. I understand this brought up Seelya from before and just want you all to know that I knew before he came to the guild that he would be a bad fit for us as well as him. But he is my friend and wouldn't listen to me when I told him this, really wanted to check out the guild I love so much and wouldn't leave to join his. In addition, I am not referring to his being in the guild, but we pugged him into a Naxx run once, he got onto vent and told you that he didn't speak English (should have said, "it's not my primary language" ) and Ashkari in particular got very rude about him in guild chat. That is what I was referring to. Seelya was simply not a good fit for our guild in the beginning but the reaction to his language on guild chat had me concerned. Well, end of that story.
Knowing that you all aren't burned on Brazilian's, ( ala Brazilian wax job which they don't even seem to know about, btw..? Can't figure out why.), I'll see if my friend Bet is still looking for a home. He seems like a great, EASY GOING, type of person. So, I may have a new member for us.
Laelya
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Joining Ethos